DEC members should prepare for the worst. Members should have an emergency kit assembled and be prepared to be without power for several days during severe weather. Now is the time to prepare.
Red Cross Recommended Emergency Kit Essentials
- Styrofoam coolers to preserve food
- Ice to keep food cold
- Water—one gallon per person, per day
- Food—non-perishable, easy-to prepare
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Cell phone with charger
- Family and emergency contacts
Heres a video about what you should have in your kit!
Additional DEC Safety Tips
- Stay away from downed wires or damaged electric equipment. Touching energized wires can lead to injuries and death. If you see downed wires, call DEC immediately.
- If you use a generator, never run it inside your home or garage. Some produce carbon monoxide fumes, which can be deadly.