Beat the Peak provides Co-op members with the power to keep their electric rates affordable.
Here’s how it works:
When the Co-op is approaching a period when the price for energy is expected to be very high, we’ll issue what is called a “Beat the Peak” alert. You may see or hear the announcements on social media, radio and TV stations or receive an email notification from the Cooperative.
If you’ve signed up for a Beat the Peak in-home indicator, the yellow indicator on the device will light up when an alert period is approaching. When it’s time to conserve, the red light on the indicator will light and will remain on until the alert time is over.
How Does This Help Members?
By lowering the amount of power being consumed across the system when energy prices are high, you are helping to lower the Co-op’s cost for power. Because DEC is a not-for-profit utility, those savings are passed on to you in the form of affordable rates. Please note: You will not see a credit on your bill for conserving energy nor will you be charged more for power if you do not conserve. This is a voluntary program, which benefits all Co-op members. Since 2008, the program has collectively saved members more than $24 million.
How to Conserve:
-In summer, raise your thermostat a few degrees
-In winter, lower your thermostat a few degrees
-Turn off any unnecessary lights
-Delay the use of major appliances like dishwashers and dryers until after the alert time has passed.
-Consider grilling outside instead of using the oven or stove top!
How to Sign Up for Text Alerts:
You can receive Beat the Peak alerts via text message!
1. Log into your online Co-op Smarthub account or sign up for an account by clicking HERE. Please note, you must use a desktop or laptop to sign up. You cannot sign up using DEC’s App, DEC Connect or mobile web browsers.
2. Once you log into or set up your account, click on “Notifications” at the top of the page and then click on “Manage Contacts” on the drop-down menu.
3. You’ll be able to add an email address or a cell phone number where the Co-op will automatically send alerts when issued. If you’ve already added a cell phone number and/or email address, you will see them listed on the page. After you add a contact, you should receive a verification code via email or text message.
4. Verify your contact information by entering the code into the box provided.
5. Click again on “Notifications” at the top of your Smarthub account page. Then click on “Manage Notifications” in the drop down menu.
6. Click “Reports” and select “Beat the Peak”. Then click “Options” on the right side of the page. You can select to receive the alerts via text message and/or email.
How to Sign Up For an Indicator :
Simply fill out the form below and we’ll ship you a free “Beat the Peak” in-home indicator and two LED bulbs. Simply plug the indicator into the wall and you’re ready to start conserving! You can also give us a call at 855-332-9090.