Cookie Rookie: Pumpkin Pie Skillet Brownie
For the Pumpkin Pie topping:
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
¼ cup sugar
Egg whites from 1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the Brownie Layer:
½ cup sugar
Egg whites from 2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup canola oil
4 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1 ¼ cup white whole-wheat flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup buttermilk
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a large cast iron skillet with non-stick spray or olive oil spray.
2. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and ¼ cup sugar until smooth. Add egg white from 1 egg and continue to beat. Add ¾ cup pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Beat until very smooth. Set aside. This is your pumpkin pie layer mixture.
3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well incorporated. Set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat ½ cup sugar, egg white from 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla, oil, melted chocolate, and 1 cup pumpkin puree. Beat until totally smooth and incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture and continue to beat until smooth. Finally, add the buttermilk and mix until combined and smooth. This is your brownie mixture.
5. Pour the brownie mixture into the skillet and smooth out with a spatula. Top with the pumpkin pie layer. Using a knife, slide the knife through the two layers to create a swirled top layer.
6. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.